The Browns’ off-season trades

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Browns’ off-season trades

Nick Zaslov, Staff Writer

The Cleveland Browns made some off-season trades that fans hope will make them more competitive in the 2018 season.

In March, prior to the 2018 draft, the Browns tried to remedy the situation at quarterback by getting Tyrod Taylor, formerly from the Buffalo Bills.  They traded their third-round pick, 65th overall, for him.

Jarvis Landry, wide receiver, was another off-season addition that had fans excited.  According to Sports Illustrated, Cleveland spent $47 million and a pair of draft picks to get him from the Miami Dolphins.  SI states that he “could be a weapon from any receiver spot.”

With Landry at receiver, the Browns made a big trade to trade away Corey Coleman in August.  Coleman was a first round draft pick a few years ago.

Arguably the biggest move by the Browns was drafting Baker Mayfield in April.  Mayfield, who was taken as the first pick of the first round, had 43 touchdowns in his last season at Oklahoma.  According to the Browns website, he was a unanimous five-time first-team All-American in 2017, and he also won the Heisman Trophy.  Mayfield also golds Big 12 records for yards per pass attempt (9.7), consecutive games with at least one passing score (40), and touchdowns responsible for (153).

They also picked up Carlos Hyde, who was a free agent.  He was formerly the running back for the San Francisco 49ers, where he had two back-to-back seasons with more than 900 rushing yards.  The Browns signed him to a three-year deal.

For the defense, the Browns made a trade for safety Damarious Randall. Randall had been a first round draft pick by the Green Bay Packers in 2015.  According to NFL statistics, Randall had ten interceptions in three years. The Browns site notes, “Since entering the league in 2015, has notched 140 tackles, 10 interceptions for 173 return yards, two touchdowns, 32 passes defensed and one fumble recovery in 39 games played.”

With two new options at quarterback, a new receiver, a new running back, and an addition to the defense, it seems the Browns’ front office was aggressive in making some big changes to change the team’s performance this year. The Browns have not made the playoffs since 2002 and have not had a winning season since 2007, but the off-season trades have fans feeling hopeful.

Tyrod Taylor

Carlos Hyde

• The Browns’ off-season trades

News

Deep freeze strikes the Midwest; temperatures plummet to Arctic levels

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Opinion

From its twisted history to its commercial present, is Valentine’s Day the most pointless of all the holidays?

• The Browns’ off-season trades

News

China plants “mini garden” on the far side of moon

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Arts and Entertainment

Theories swirl around phase 3-ending movie, Avengers Endgame

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Sports

The Cleveland Browns names new head coach, Freddie Kitchens

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Our House

Upcoming Green Tie Gala will raise money for STEAM and students PK-12

• The Browns’ off-season trades

News

Longest-ever government shutdown comes to an end after thirty-five days

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Our House

MMS staff shares their favorite holiday memories and traditions

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Arts and Entertainment

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo welcomes new baby rhino

• The Browns’ off-season trades

Arts and Entertainment

McDonald’s around the world

The Browns’ off-season trades