Black History Month and the 15th Amendment

Sarah Levak, Editor

2020 marks the 150th anniversary of the 15th amendment, which officially allowed black men to vote after the Civil War. This year also marks the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment, which allowed all women to vote. This year for Black History Month at MMS, we will be focusing on the struggles for voting rights that women and African American men faced.

Poetry Contest 2020

Poster Contest 2020

Illustration Contest 2020

Three contests will be going on for the duration of Black History Month. The first contest is the poster contest, where participating students are tasked with creating a poster based around the theme of voting rights for African American people.

The second contest is a poetry contest, where students are given the task of writing a poem based around the history of voting for African American people. A student participating can only enter one poem into the contest, and the poem can be no more than 20 lines. The poems can be of any style that the student so chooses.

The last contest is an illustration contest that goes along with the poetry contest, where the students will create an illustration revolving around the theme. The winning illustration will accompany the poetry contest winner.

If interested, access the fliers linked above! All entries must be made online or mailed by April 30th!

If you would like to learn more about the 15th amendment, check out this video!