Drama Club Raises the Curtain on Fun

Some members of this year’s Drama Club at The Ohio Theater at Playhouse Square seeing “A Christmas Carol.”

Marri Hall, Staff Writer

The Mayfield Middle School Drama Club is in action–the after-school club with fun improv activities, energetic warm-ups, and field trips to enjoy live performances. Open to seventh to eighth graders, the club has over sixty members and is advised by language arts teacher, Mrs. Saunders, and gifted intervention specialist, Mrs. Bean.

Mrs. Saunders says that Drama Club is meant as an introduction to the performance arts. Students learn basics of improvisation, script, interpretation, and blocking. It is also meant for students to find out if they like performing in front of an audience before they get to high school.  The culminating activity for the year is for students to prepare a monologue that they can use for auditions at the high school. “Kids are learning how to use their voice, faces, and bodies to convey a message. It also teaches them to be confident and how to work together,” Mrs. Saunders says.

Mrs. Bean and Mrs. Saunders began the club in 2012. “I was in Drama Club and performed in plays when I was younger and always enjoyed my experiences,” said Mrs. Saunders. “So since the middle school didn’t have a Drama Club, Mrs. Bean and I decided to start one.”

Mrs. Saunders says that drama has a place in schools because it offers students a creative outlet and invites students to be themselves.  She added, “Students don’t get much exposure to plays or drama in a regular classroom.”

Mrs. Bean noted that while schools tend to have large programs with athletics, few programs support kids in the fine arts. “It gives kids a chance to break out of their shells and become comfortable speaking in groups,” says Mrs. Bean.

If  kids fear performing, Mrs. Saunders encourages them to give it a chance. Shy students might do the day’s activity with another person or in a small group first to build their confidence.  She also emphasizes to students that it’s okay to feel uncomfortable and that everybody’s nervous when performing; the key is use that to one’s advantage.

Mrs. Bean said that if a kid doesn’t feel like performing, she would try to give him or her opportunities to come out of their shell and become more comfortable. She recommends over-preparing to help defeat nerves.

Eighth-grade student, Hannah Kinczel, states that she likes Drama Club because it is interesting and fun. “Drama Club should be in schools because it helps kids use their creativity and know how they feel.” Hannah also said, “I chose to be in Drama Club because I wanted to get to experience different things.”

Drama Club member TJ Ference says that he chose to be in Drama Club because he likes to be on stage and act out different roles. TJ says that if any kids are scared of being on stage, Drama Club helps you conquer it. “Drama Club is amazing and very helpful,” he says.

“I chose to be in Drama Club because it seemed fun and I wanted to try fun things,” says another member, Jasmine Settles-Lucas. She adds, “Drama Club is a place where creative kids can express how they might feel.”

Hannah, TJ, and Jasmine all said the club has lead to plans to join drama club at the high school and possible interests in teaching or participating in theater drama as adults.

Mrs. Bean said that being a Drama Club teacher is “really fun and rewarding” because she gets to know kids outside of the classroom. Mrs. Bean claims that Drama Club is work that doesn’t feel like work. “It’s a place for people to let out their inner performer and a place for artistic people to feel like they are part of a community.”