Violence Strikes Ohio State University

Tifannee Vanderhoff, Staff Writer

Ohio State University was already on the minds of many Mayfield residents because of the Saturday night game against the Michigan Wolverines. OSU took the victory, which had fans celebrating the win, but the mood on campus soon drastically changed.

On Monday, November 28, 2016, at 9:52 a.m. a stabbing and car attack took place at Ohio State University. The assailant, known as Abdul Razak Ali Artan, hit a group of people with his car at the OSU campus, then, right after, began to stab people with a butcher knife that he had purchased at Wal-Mart that morning.

Abdul Artan was shot and killed at the scene by a OSU police officer named Alan Horujko. He was eighteen years old and a Somalian refugee.

Eleven people were wounded—nine students, one professor, and one individual not involved with OSU. Three victims involved in the stabbing were taken to the Grant Medical Center, where they were treated and then released. Two other victims were taken to Riverside Methodist Hospital. All injuries were categorized as minor or moderate.

Ohio State Police Chief Craig Stone told NBC channel 4 that the “police officer was on the scene within a minute and killed the assailant. He engaged the suspect and eliminated the threat.” Classes at OSU were cancelled for the day.

Artan’s motives for the attack are unknown.  It has not been determined whether this was or was not a terrorist attack.  According to The New York Times interview with FBI agent Angela Byers, investigators are interviewing people who knew Artan and analyzing his social media accounts and personal electronics. Byers said that the investigation process will take some time.