The Edge of Seventeen

The Edge of Seventeen

Alyssa Mirossay, Guest Writer

The Edge of Seventeen is a dramatic comedy about the struggles of a girl from when she was little to high school and how she overcomes them.

The film was released on November 18 by Gracie Films and STX Entertainment. The director and writer, Kelly Fremon Craig, is also known for the movie Post Grad.

In the movie, the main character Nadine and her best friend Krista have been through it all since they were little kids. Something tragic happens between Krista, Nadine, and Nadine’s brother Darian that changes everything. Nadine gets into a fight with her best friend, brother, and mom  and makes some decisions she might regret. She eventually meets Erwin and he makes Nadine realize that what she did wasn’t right, so Nadine makes things better again with everyone.

The film stars Hailee Steinfeld in the lead role of Nadia.  She is known for True Grit, for which she received an Oscar nomination, Ender’s Game, and Pitch Perfect 2.  The film also features Blake Jenner, who is best known for his role from Glee,  Golden Globe winner Kyra Sedgwick, most recognized from the show “The Closer,” and well-known Oscar nominee Woody Harrelson from recent films like The Hunger Games series, Now You See Me, and Zombieland. The film also stars upcoming teen actors Hayden Szeto and Hale Lu Richardson.

This movie is rated R because of foul language and inappropriate scenes involving teenage drinking and some sexual content. Despite the rating, this movie is a good, enjoyable comedy.  While parents present would be recommended, this movie shows teens that even when things are hard, there will be a bright side, and things will turn around. The movie also gives viewers a good laugh!

Opening weekend at the box office, the film made $4,754,215.  Its gross earnings to date are nearly $13 million.

Critics have given the film positive reviews as well.  Kristy Puchko from Nerdist and Rotten Tomatoes called it a “brilliant coming of age comedy,” and Critics Consensus said, “The Edge of Seventeen‘s sharp script and Hailee Steinfeld’s outstanding lead performance make this more than just another coming-of-age dramedy.”

Also, Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair called it one of his favorite movies of 2016 and “the best teen movie in years” for its convincing dialogue and combination of humor and depth.

For those who want a laugh but are also open to a serious, realistic portrayal of typical teen struggles, check out The Edge of Seventeen.