Pinning Down the Start of the Wrestling Season

Alyssa Mirossay, Guest Writer

Mayfield Middle School’s wrestling season began on November 14, coached by Gary Fortuna and Bill Whaley. About 40 seventh and eighth graders will compete against eleven other schools this season, some of which include Kenston, Memorial, Chardon and Willoughby.

The team last year was undefeated and came second in their final tournament against forty-five teams. Some of the wrestlers on the team have high hopes for this season as well. Dominic Gerome, who has wrestled for five years, says his goals are to “go undefeated.” Shane Trivisano, who has wrestled for two years, says his goals are “to make it to states.” And Sonny Fontana’s goals are simply “winning.” All three agreed their biggest school rival is Twinsburg.

Coach Fortuna’s goal for the season is to “have student athletes work hard at school and in the athletic arena.” He adds, “those skills will help them succeed in life.”

The boys like their coaches because “they help us out a lot”, “they are nice and show us good technique”, and “they are helpful and caring”according to Gerome, Trivisano, and Fontana.

In middle school, there are sixteen weight classes, starting at 80 pounds and going up to 245. To stay in their weight classes, the boys said they have to eat healthy and occasionally work out. They have to make sure they stay in their weight class because if they weigh in and are overweight they can’t wrestle.

Their first home match is Wednesday, December 14 against Willoughby. Come help support the wrestlers.