MMS Gives Back with Day of Service, November 1st

MMS Gives Back, 2015

Alexandra Kucmanic, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, November 1, every student at Mayfield Middle School will go out into the community and rake leaves out of lawns. The purpose of this day, devoted to service to others, is to support and give back to our community,said Principal Paul Destino.

After leaf raking in the morning, students will go back to the school building to do varying activities with their teams. For example, the sixth-grade Dream team is having a Mayfield Heights police officer and firefighter talk to the students about ways they can improve and help their community. Then the students will write letters thanking the men for their time.

The sixth-grade Trailblazers team is heading over to Center Elementary School, where they will pair up with kindergarteners and read their favorite stories.

The eighth-grade Hele team will offer multiple activities after raking from which students can choose. They will go shopping for foods to donate to Cleveland Food Bank’s Harvest for Hunger, bake dog treats to donate to local animal shelters, put together care packages and letters for soldiers, or write random notes of kindness and inspiration.

This will be the second year for the MMS Gives Back event, which is organized by guidance counselor Mr. Face.

Last year’s event was well-received by community members. One voicemail left for Principal Destino by a resident’s mother stated, “Your good deeds from your students don’t go unnoticed, and I’m sending them and you a big thank you….My daughter is a single mom who’s not well, and she came home from work today and her yard was raked. And it took a burden off of her. And I just have to send you a big thank you. You keep teaching those kids that good deeds are what makes the world go round.”

Another resident called and expressed, “This morning when I drove out of driveway and saw the leaves all raked, it put a smile on my face for the whole morning.”

The date for this year’s event was moved back, originally set for the 20th, due to the lack of leaves from a very warm September and October. The rain date is November 2.

Parents are asked to bring in rakes for the event. Parents may drive their children to school on one of the days before leaf raking to drop off the rakes, which should be labeled with student name and homeroom. The rakes may be picked up the same day as the leaf raking any time after 1:00 or at the end of the school day. Students are asked not to bring their rakes on the bus.

The day of the event, students should dress to work and be prepared for cool morning temperatures by wearing warm gloves, comfortable shoes, and layers of clothing.

For more information, check the Mayfield Middle School website.