Cross Country Season Underway

Tifannee Vanderhoff, Staff Writer

Mayfield Middle School boys and girls are breaking a sweat running on the streets of Mayfield Heights. With 60 students participating, this year’s cross country team is one of the largest Mayfield has had in history. In years past, membership has been in the low 40s, so this year’s participation marks a 30-percent increase.

Cross country is a sport that focuses on long-distance running on natural terrain like dirt or grass rather than a track. To compete, runners must build endurance. For example, a typical MMS practice involves either a longer 40 to 50-minute run, looping around the high school, or a shorter 25 to 30-minute run. Coach Wojciechowicz, known by students as Coach Wojo, explained that he hopes the athletes gain a strong work ethic from the sport.  He stated, “Hard work might not pay off right then and there, but over time they will be able to achieve a long-term goal.”

On average there are eight to ten meets, at which three to four teams run together, plus two invitationals, where between ten and twenty teams run together. Thus far, the team has celebrated many personal-best times with runners. Plus, eighth-grader Val Sague hasn’t lost a race yet at Mayfield Middle School, even as a seventh grader. Val is currently undefeated this season and hoping to continue her streak.

Coach Wojo explained that he went into coaching “to get to know the kids personally” and to get to know their “crazy fun side” outside of the regular school day. He added that it is rewarding to have the chance to coach “a great group of runners who work hard and support each other all season long.” He noted that being on the cross country team helps start many friendships and builds character. “It’s not just about the running but the bond they make as a team and the team becoming a family,” he stated. “We hope that many students become lifelong runners and make long-lasting friendships throughout the season.”

image