Ms. Fasola and Mr. Yasenosky try the Bratz Doll Challenge in a makeup tutorial

Back to Article
Back to Article

Amaya Dukes and Falyn Greene

Makeup tutorials have exploded in popularity in the last few years. Michelle Phan, the pioneer of makeup tutorials, started her makeup channel on YouTube in 2006, and became the first person to do makeup tutorials for a living. She now has 8.9 million subscribers on YouTube and 1.9 million followers on Instagram. Jeffree Star, who has been doing makeup for over 10 years, Nikkie de Jager who has 10 million subscribers, and James Charles who has 14.8 million subscribers, are also popular YouTubers that do makeup.

There are makeup tutorials for all ages and lifestyles.  A quick google search can lead a person to makeup for teens, older women trying to hide wrinkles, brides, or those looking for a dramatic nighttime look or even a Halloween costume.

Recently, a makeup challenge emerged in which artists attempted to make themselves or others look like the Bratz dolls.  The hashtag #BratzChallenge exploded on Twitter and Instagram as a way for makeup artists to show off their skills with contouring, eyeliner, eye shadows, and an exaggerated lip.

Ms. Fasola and Mr. Yas agreed to try it, and the result was a hilarious fail. Check it out!

• Ms. Fasola and Mr. Yasenosky try the Bratz Doll Challenge in a makeup tutorial

Our House

Mayfield wrestlers go to states

Our House

8th graders visit Orange High School to learn about Excel TECC

Our House

“Like a Family”: Inside the performances of MMS choir group, Vocal Dimensions

Our House

Upcoming art show displays the work of Mayfield students

Our House

Mayfield Middle School Science Olympiad places 8th at Northeastern Regionals

Our House

Online learning replaces snow days in some districts; is Mayfield next?

Our House

Mayfield High School introduces new learning modalities

Our House

Upcoming Green Tie Gala will raise money for STEAM and students PK-12

Our House

2nd annual staff cookie contest

Our House

MMS staff shares their favorite holiday memories and traditions