Vocal Dimensions takes first place at Cedar Point competition

Tatiyana Harris, Staff Writer

On Saturday, May 12th, 2018, the MMS eighth-grade show choir, Vocal Dimensions, performed at Cedar Point for their final competition of the year–taking first place in their division and earning a “superior” rating from the judges. The group was also presented an award for the most outstanding sportsmanship. And high school student Cal Lanning won “outstanding student accompanist” for his work on electric guitar. 

This competition was called “Music in the Parks,” where MMS competed against a lot of different schools from different states. Students from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania joined together to compete.

Mayfield won against choirs from Bakers, Beachwood, Goshen John R. Lea, John Sells, Kirtland, Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts, Saint Paschal, Shaker Heights, South Allegheny, The Arts and College Preparatory Academy, Waynedale and Welty Schools.

Vocal Dimensions earned  scores of 92.5 and 88.5, which averaged out to 90.5.

Mr. Bright explained, “The adjudicator’s give us a score in each of the following categories:  Blend, Balance, Tone; Intonation; Diction; Technique, Rhythm; Vocal Interpretation/Vocal Presentation; Originality, Creativity; Professionalism; Music, Pace of Show; Choreography Performance; and Choreography Design.”  The groups achieved the overall ‘Superior’ designation by earning either ‘Excellent’ or ‘Superior’ in each of the categories.

For the competition, Vocal Dimensions performed, “We Dance” (from the show “Once On This Island”); “Rise” (Katy Perry); and “Don’t Stop Believin” (Glee/Journey).  The final number featured Cal Lanning on electric guitar. Several students also performed solos in the competition: Amber Johnson, Kimberly Bell, Emily Warsheskie, Gia Varanese, Sydney Montique, Collin Woodson, Daniel Blum, Adrianna Valletta, Madison Ferrell, Anthony Brown, Wynter Gant, Johnny Smerke, Jillian Harris, Asia Brannon, Lily Stenroos, and Hailey Nelson.

To prepare for the competition, the group had  “45-minute daily rehearsals which include vocal warm-ups, sight-reading, physical stretching and drill of vocal parts and choreography” according to Dr. Bright.  Additionally, the students had six three-hour choreography rehearsals (called Megadrills). This is “where the choreography is first explained and learned!”

Madison Moissis said that winning “felt good because of how hard we worked as a group…I learned that if you work hard in a group you can accomplish a lot.”  Also, Anthony Brown said, “I learned that I should appreciate my classmates.”  Chloe Campbell- Lee expressed, “It felt good. We worked hard, and I was happy we were the first group to win the Superior rating.” She added, “ I learned that hard work pays off.”