Best-selling author John Green

Genevieve Kootsouradis, Staff Writer

Looking for Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns. Do these book names seem familiar to you? That’s because they were all written by the same author: John Green. John Green is a bestselling author to the books listed above. Additionally, he wrote An Abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and his most recent novel, Turtles All the Way Down.

John Michael Green was born August 24, 1977 in Indiana. Green is an author, a you-tuber, producer, actor, educator, vlogger, and editor. He runs his Youtube channels, VlogBrothers and Crash Course, with his brother Hank Green. VlogBrothers is as the name implies it to be, a vlog. Crash Course is an educational channel which teaches multiple subjects.  

John has been married to Sarah Urist Green since 2006. Since then, he has had two children named Henry and Alice. Green currently lives in Indianapolis (hometown) with his wife, children, and Fireball Wilson Roberts, the family’s west highland terrier.

Indianapolis is where he wrote most of The Fault in our Stars and wrote a lot of Paper Towns. Although he’s lived here for most of his life, he has lived other places before. He’s lived in New York where he wrote part of Paper Towns and where he wrote most of An Abundance of Katherines. Before New York, he’s lived in Chicago. He wrote Looking for Alaska (first novel) in Chicago.

While growing up, Green lived in mostly Orlando, Florida. He’s also lived in Birmingham, Alabama for a little bit as well. As a child Green was very fortunate. He had many friends, loving parents, and a supportive brother (Hank). Despite having many friends, Green still often felt alone and prefered to be isolated. He spent much of his childhood reading, which inspired him to become a writer. Green also spent a lot of time listening to other people talk.

Green graduated high school from Indian Springs School in Indian Springs Village, Alabama. He went on to go to Kenyon College (Located in Gambier, Ohio) where he received a B.A. Green double-majored in English and Religious Studies.  

After graduating from Kenyon College, he began working at Booklist Magazine. Booklist Magazine is a magazine that reviews thousands of books. While working, he thought about the writers of these thousands of books that got reviewed. Green aspired to be one of these people. His editor at Booklist, Ilene Cooper, mentored him and encouraged him to write.

Now Green has written multiple books, which includes The Fault in Our Stars, his most popular book. 10.7 million copies have been sold since its publication in 2012. It was also made into a film in 2014 and since then, this movie has made $307.2 million. Recently John Green has written Turtles All the Way Down. This book, published in October, 2017, may be turned into a movie like Paper Towns (released June 2014) and The Fault in Our Stars (released July 2015).