This year’s M-Factor top five

Bennett Meacham, Staff Writer

Every year, Mayfield Middle School holds a school-wide talent search called “M-Factor.” This year the five finalists are Sydney Montique, Daniel Blum, Noelle Humphrey, Gloria Price, and partners Joel Cpassou and Venise Williams.

M-Factor is a play on the popular British television show, The X Factor. In the initial rounds, many students enter and are eliminated by judges. In later rounds, school-wide voting commences, letting each student and staff member choose favorites.

Each year, on the last day of school, the winner from the finalists is revealed at a ceremony in the gym.

The competition is an outlet for students to explore their talents and interests. For instance, eighth graders Gloria Price and Noelle Humphrey participated in MFactor in sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. Price has performed different talents each year: played the piano while her friend sang, performed musical theater songs with a group, and played ukulele while singing. Humphrey performed with a cheerleading group the first year, sang with a friend in seventh, and this year, sang solo while playing her guitar.

Many students joined for the added entertainment. Sydney Montique, a singer, said she joined “to have fun, not to make it always about competition.”

Daniel Blum, another singer, is a returning finalist, also having made it into the top three last year. According to Blum, this is what makes him different from the other contestants, stating, “I didn’t just enter. I had experience, I guess.”

Noelle Humphrey differs from the others because most people either play or sing, and she does both.

Joel Cpassou and Venise Williams entered the MFactor as a dance group. They are the only individuals in the top five who do not sing or play instruments.

The five M-Factor finalists each have interesting stories behind them. The middle school is waiting to see who takes home the trophy.