Rock Band to hold annual Rock Our House event on May 11

Collin Woodson, Staff Writer

The Rock Band is here, and it’s ready to rock the house.

The Mayfield Middle School student Rock Band, Sine Litteris, unleashed itself upon Mayfield Middle School and is ready to show itself to the world. On Friday, May 11, in the MMS auditorium, Sine Litteris will perform in the 4th annual Rock Our House event. Two Orange High School bands will also perform as well as former Rock Band members Nate Mulhbach, Keanu Dukes, Jack Giesey, Dominic Amato, and Cal Lanning.

The band was put together by school counselor, Mr. Face. The band’s name, “Sine Litteris,” means illiterate in Latin. The name struck the group as funny and was chosen after about an hour of suggestions.  There are five vocalists: Daniel Blum, Noelle Humphrey, Madison Reed, Matthew Snider, and Klea Page–each providing their own unique flare.  There are two guitarists, Noelle Humphrey and Collin Woodson, and keyboardist Ashlee Woodson.  Bringing the rhythm and the flow to the group are bassist Dena Leydiker and drummer Allie Collette.

The band performs mostly class rock songs.  For the upcoming performances (Rock Our House as well as the Orange County Rock Off on April 28), the band has prepared “Hotel California” by The Eagles, “All Along the Watchtower” by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Scarlet Begonias” by Grateful Dead, and “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan.

The band also performs the songs “Paint It Black” by The Rolling Stones and “Zombie” by The Cranberries.

Each member joined for his or her own reasons. Vocalist Daniel Blum stated, I have a passion for singing, and I like being able to make music with my peers.” Noelle Humphrey stated, “I like music, and it’s fun being with other musicians and playing music.”

The band has had many fun experiences. The group signed up for the annual Mayfield Middle School M-Factor talent show this year, making it to the third round. Ashlee Woodson stated, “So far I’ve had a fun time, and it’s a good bonding experience both in and out of school.” Matthew Snider explained, “It can be rough sometimes because a lot of us are different, but eventually you learn to accept each other and it’s worth it.”

Support the Rock Band Friday, May 11th. The show begins at 6:00. Tickets are $3 in advance or $5 at the door. Food will be available for purchase. All of the ticket sales support the MMS Music Club.