French Class Takes Field Trip to Cleveland Art Museum

Samantha Jones, Staff Writer

The eighth-grade French class went on a field trip to the Cleveland Art Museum on February 14. Teacher, Madame Vouk, created the field trip because the students had been studying French art movements, and many of the paintings they studied were featured in the museum.

The East Wing Glass Gallery at the Cleveland Museum of Art

The art movements include impressionism, cubism, and romanticism. The students focused on specific periods by creating projects about them, so once they visited the museum, they were able to identify which period certain paintings were from. A few of them expressed that they enjoyed the experience more because they were able to recognize specific pieces.

The museum guide was open to questions and opinions from the students and mainly focused on French art. She provided historical and background information on the pieces, while also including stories detailing the arrival of the pieces to the museum.

The Dream Salvador Dali, 1931, oil, canvas

There are several paintings in the museum that are commonly- known. The students were able to view The Dream, a panel of Water Lilies, and The Red Kerchief.

After the tour, the students were allowed to explore the museum and spend more time with different types of art that interested them.

As part of the “French experience,” after their museum walkthrough, the students visited Luna Bakery, where they ate crêpes and other French food. Rather than eat in the crowded bakery, the class was allowed access to a seating area nearby, where they were able to relax before going back to the middle school.