The Silence Breakers Speak Out Against Sexual Harassment

Avery Fish, Staff Writer

Imagine being defenseless, unable to speak out. Sworn to secrecy and not being able to tell the truth. Well, that’s exactly what many men and women felt until the outburst of the #metoo statement on many social media sites.  The movement started when Alyssa Milano shared her story of her experience with sexual assault and harassment involving American producer Harvey Weinstein.

The trending hashtag and the women who came out with their stories have been named Time Magazine’s person of the year.  The issue featured “The silence breakers” on the front cover. Times Magazine introduced the people and their stories of sexual assault of harassment.

Actress Rose McGowan also spoke out against Weinstein, along with Ashley Judd. Along with losing his wife, Eve Chilton, Harvey also lost his job with the Academy of Motion Pictures.

Most people featured in the article are from movies and media  like Taylor Swift. Others featured were everyday strangers that you may see on the street. For example, Isabel Pascual, a local strawberry picker, was introduced in the article as well and is portrayed as one of the silence breakers as she tells her brave story.

The uprising of awareness also caused Matt Lauer, the famous co-host of the Today Show, to lose his job due to “Inappropriate sexual behaviors in a workplace.” Lauer has since apologized with his statement, saying,  “There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.” Matt also states how he is thankful for the people in his life that love him and thanks them for their patience and grace.

So what’s the point in raising awareness to such a hurtful cause? Ashley says that it is to show people how serious the situation is and how it is nothing to joke about. “If all the women who have been sexually harassed wrote “Me too” as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.” Milano also expresses that as a nation we need to do better for all women in the years to come.

The Golden Globes continued the momentum of the movement with all of the female stars wearing black in solidarity, and Oprah Winfrey mentioned the idea of “me too” in her acceptance speech, which earned her a standing ovation. She said, “I want all the girls watching here now to know that a new day is on the horizon and when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘me too’ again.”

Finally, after years of struggling, women and men that have been sexually abused just might get the justice they deserve all thanks to the bravery of the silence breakers.

• The Silence Breakers Speak Out Against Sexual Harassment

Opinion

Should Celebrities Be President?

Opinion

Why the U.S. Needs to Stop Interfering with Foreign Conflicts

Opinion

French Schools vs. American Schools

Opinion

Why isn’t anime considered art?

Opinion

Study Hall: Productive or Pointless?

Opinion

The Three Big Winter Celebrations, Explained

Opinion

How does holiday music affect the mind?

Opinion

Different Languages

Opinion

Too old to ask for candy?

Opinion

Should Cursive Come Back into American Schools?