Create with Art Club

Vaishnavi Nayak, Staff Writer

Art Club started this September and is continuing to introduce students to creative crafts. Run by Mrs. Vokic, the club hosts fun activities that range from dyeing silk scarves to making collages from painted leaves. Art Club lets students experiment with different projects and learn about artists. The club is open to all grades and is for anyone who is interested in art.

Mrs. Vokic stated that Art Club is a place where students can loosen up and explore art with little stress. It allows them to meet people who like the same things they do and create something together. In a school-like environment the stress of creating something can make an artist focus more on the end product rather than the journey of creation. Art Club teaches students the importance of this process. She remarked, “Students can experience making art without the stress of making something perfect.  To experiment and explore without “making mistakes”. To learn that the process of creating art can be fun!”

She says that there had always been an Art Club at Mayfield, as far as she knew, but she personally wanted one so that the students could enjoy making art and not have to worry about a grade. It would allow a student to try something out of the box that they would not get to try out when they were taking an art class or elective.

The club has many different activities that change every year. The activities that Art Club conducts can range from painting to analyzing artists to making innovative crafts. The activities that were conducted this year include painting murals, weaving baskets, sculpting, and  dyeing silk scarves.

The number of students that attend can range from fifteen to twenty, and teachers have also joined the fun from time to time. Mrs. Vokic says she does not expect anyone to come to the meetings regularly. Anyone can come to the projects that interest them and skip projects that they do not want to make.

“Art club is a really great way to spend your time afterschool, mostly if you like art,” says eighth grader and Art Club regular Josie Tamaro. She likes that the projects are really different from the ones the students do in the art elective. Josie really admires the fact that students are allowed to learn from nature and said stated that this made leaf painting her favorite project.    

Another regular at Art Club, sixth grader Michael Wellendorf, loves to go to Art Club. He  joined because he loves art and is artistic. “It has really cool projects, my favorite being the silk scarves. I get to hang out with some of my friends, and it’s really fun. ”

Seventh grader Sara Fricke also attends occasional projects in Art Club. She stated, “Art club really brings out the creativity in everyone.” She also added that the club allows you to meet new people.

Whether you’re artistic or not, Art Club is a great way to spend an afternoon. So grab some supplies and come to the art room.