The Geography Bee 2018

The Geography Bee 2018

Meg Linsky, Staff Writer

The Geography Bee has rolled around again for the 29th year in a row, the Geography bee is a competition where contestants anywhere from fourth grade to eighth grade can compete in a competition on  eight different categories. These categories include, Cultural Geography, Economic Geography, Across-the-Country, Science, Geographic Compressions, Physical Geography, and Odd-item-out that is when contestants are given three options and are told to choose one from the three options that is false.

The first round yielded the following qualifiers, with sixth grader Luke Kuang and eighth grader Robert Curtis scoring the highest:

First

Last

Grade

SS Teacher

Maninder

Dhillon

8

Streitman

Jenny

Fu

8

Streitman

Riley

Jones

8

Streitman

Jack

Dominish

8

Streitman

Natalia

Sanchez

7

Doubrava

Dominic

Casey

6

Powall

Anirudh

Sriram

8

Catullo

Grace

Frazier

8

Catullo

Jimmy

Turcoliveri

8

Catullo

Stevie

Michinock

8

Catullo

Kenza

Mahdaoui

8

Tretanelli

Morgan

DeSantis

8

Streitman

Matthew

Bell

6

Powall

Daniel

Hearn

8

Catullo

Andrew

Ferenac

8

Catullo

Mykenna

Roy

8

Catullo

Lindsey

Urban

8

Catullo

Ivan

Zamyatin

7

Pretnar

Matthew

Thomas

7

Pretnar

Praval

Jiddu

6

Fasola

Pranav

Sompalle

7

Doubrava

Robert

Curtis

8

Streitman

Luke

Kuang

6

Yas

The Geography Bee, organized by Mrs. Bean,  involves taking tests in social studies class. The competitors are divided into groups of twenty and each contestant is asked one question from the current category they are in. The categories include Cultural Geography, Economic Geography, Across-the-Country, Science, Geographic Compressions, Physical Geography, and Odd-item-out; that is when contestants are given three options and are told to choose one from the three options that is false.

The contestant will receive one point for each right answer and after all the rounds are completed, the top ten competitors who have the most points will move on to a new round.

According to Wikipedia’s explanation to the Geography bee for scoring with competitors,  “Quite often there is a tie, in which case a semi-final tiebreaker round is needed. For example, if six players finished the preliminary rounds with eight points and fifteen finished with seven points, the six who finished with eight points automatically advance to the final competition.

The fifteen with seven points move into the semi-final round where the top four are determined to fill the remainder of the seats in the finals. This is done by asking every player the same question at the same time and giving each player twelve seconds to write down the answer. After that round competitors move on to the finals, where competitors can not ask judges for a repeat or spelling of a question.

Some of the questions can be challenging to the competitors, Mrs.Stritman explained: ””I think the Geography Bee is awesome! I like watching students challenge themselves, even when they don’t know the answers to many of the questions.”  Mrs.Stritman has fun encouraging her students and believes that when students struggle with the test they can be inspired to learn more about the world they live in. Mrs.Bean commented, “It is fun, but the process and questions are very guided by National Geographic, so there isn’t wiggle room for creative approaches”.

One of the three teachers for eighth grade, Mr.Catullo, feels like it’s fun for the kids to do something that is competitive but also fun because geography is not taught a lot in school. He added that it’s fun to watch kids get far in the competition and cheer for them.

Mrs.Trentanelli enjoys doing the qualification tests along with the students to see how much she really knows.

The Geography Bee has been a fun activity for students for years and will be for  years to come with new challenging and difficult  questions.

The next round for the qualifiers above will be January 5th.