Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Avery Fish, Staff Writer

As the winter months are approaching, many of us Ohioans and other northerners prepare themselves for the exciting sport of skiing. And at Mayfield Middle School, students, teachers and parents prepare themselves for ski club. 

Ski club will begin in January. Students load charter buses after school and spend five Friday evenings on the slopes at Brandywine Boston Mills.

“Ski club is the best time of year for me, and I know that many of my other ski friends would agree,” says Olivia Zak, an eighth grader in ski club. To Olivia and many others, ski club is a good time to socialize with friends and do and activity that they love. Ski club is a time to hang out with friends and maybe even make some new ones.

Many safety precautions have to be taken while skiing to avoid collisions or injuries. Part of ski club is spending some of the time in a lesson (leveled for different abilities) learning proper techniques from a certified instructor.

Though a part of ski club is serious, many members express that ski club is thrilling and exciting. “Ski club helps me relax and focus while also allowing me to hang out with friends,” says Zak.

According to Newsschoolers.com, many people express that skiing is a good meditation method and can be very peaceful at times since it requires the skier to pay attention to his or her movements and body and therefore lets them clear their minds and tune out worries.

Olivia also expresses that Ski chub gives her something to do on a Friday afternoon and evening when she has nothing else planned.

When Molly Fish, a sixth grader starting ski club for the first time this year, was asked what she was thinking about ski club, she expressed that she was a bit nervous but excited at the same time. “I’m excited to learn a new sport” says Molly, “But I don’t know what to expect once I’m out there.”

The teachers that supervise ski club help new people to learn the skill and build confidence in students who are apprehensive about skiing. Don’t have a buddy to ski with? No worries, Mr. Face, Mr. Paydo, Mrs. Vinborg and  Mr. Ehrbar will be happy to help. 

If you’re a beginner to ski club or if this is your last year, we wish you safe and fun skiing adventures.

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Human Interest

Mind-blowing facts about Abraham Lincoln’s killing

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Vocal Dimensions takes first place at Cedar Point competition

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

This year’s M-Factor top five

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Paintbrushes, paper, scissors, and pencils: The art show spotlights student work

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Team Revolution students give the Ultimate Pep Talk

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Rock Band to hold annual Rock Our House event on May 11

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

ROX empowers girls with the help of guest speaker, Amanda Berry

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Travel under the sea with Mayfield High School’s The Little Mermaid

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

“Eating dry crackers and weeping:” Students and teachers react to apocalyptic network outage

• Ski Club Takes to the Slopes

Our House

Drama Club takes a bow at sixth annual recital

Ski Club Takes to the Slopes