Different Languages

Different+Languages

Gigi Shirazi, Staff Writer

People from all around the world travel to the United States for many reasons: job, education, family or economic hardships. While many of these people learned English before making the move, a large amount of these people are not fluent in the English language, and some barely know one word.

Most schools in the United States offer the opportunity for students to learn English through a daily class.  Even students who come to America speaking no English are able to eventually learn and even excel in the language.

According to Oxford Royale, a new language can be learned quite quickly and easily with just fifteen to twenty minutes of studying a day.

Many times, though, learning the language is not even the hardest part.  There are many hardships that multilingual people who live in a country in which their first language is not spoken face on a daily basis.

Valeriya Barvenko, a bilingual Mayfield Middle School student, says, “there are many struggles we go through on a daily basis and they are annoying.”

According to Babble Magazine, some questions bilingual people get asked are; “In what language do you think/dream/swear? Do you ever get confused? If you could only speak one language, which one would you choose?” Some others include, “How do you say my name in your language? What does my name mean in your language? Do you talk bad about people in your language in front of them?”

There are many things that confuse bilingual individuals. According to Take Lessons, some examples include having a hard time getting the grammar right in the second language, being treated like a “foreign dictionary” by friends, and being forced to be the translator when two people who speak different languages are in a conversation.

Bilinguals have many pet peeves that they don’t share but they are definitely there. According to The Odyssey, one of the biggest pet peeves a bilingual person has is being told that they don’t look like the ethnicity they claim to be.

Greg Siambo who moved from Africa has been in the United States for about nine years now and he likes it here because “America has more opportunities.”

In conclusion, there are many hardships bilingual individuals go through but they learn from it.