The student news site of Mayfield Middle School

The Wildcat Voice

October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

James Calipetro, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Beginning October 8 and continuing throughout the month, wildfires spread through California, leaving 42 people dead and over 3 billion dollars of damage. The fire spread through 7 zones, some as big as 51,000 acres, with a total of more than 220,000 acres being damaged by the flames–many of these acres those used for the production of wine grapes.   Additionally, more than 3,500 structures were completely destroyed, most of these being homes of people in the Santa Rosa area. Of the raging fires, only 15% could be contained despite over 10,000 firefighters being called in from the immediate areas to help stop the fires.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What had started this fire? No one knows for sure but the alleged person is a 29 year old who was seen carrying around a lighter and a fire extinguisher in the woods and then walking away from a small fire. The police have this person in custody and are still trying to find out what caused the other fires. Sometimes the cause is innocent, according to The New York Times,like a down power line, sparks from a piece of car’s metal dragging, or even heat from an engine.

90% of wildfires are caused by humans–mostly out of ignorance regarding putting out fires properly when camping. The other 10% is from lighting and lava.

Once a fire begins, the wind and dryness of the area make it nearly impossible to stop. October is the worst: The weekend that the fires began, there were 70mph autumn winds in the area, called the diablo winds.  

This wildfire outbreak is the deadliest in the last century, and even as the changing weather has ended the spread of the fires, air quality in the area will be poor for some time, and the recovery process for the many acres impacted will be long.

 

What can you do to help? 

http://www.napavalleycf.org/fire-donation-page/

https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

http://refb.org/

http://www.redcross.org

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Texas church shooting leaves 26 dead

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Opposing leader boycotts Kenyan election

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Truck Attack in Manhattan Kills 8 and Injures 12

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Indonesian Firework Factory Explosion Leaves 47 Dead and 46 with Severe Burns

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Catalonia Votes on Independence from Spain

  • News

    Student Allegedly Jumps to his Death from Residence Hall at Temple University

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Eat Up! Giant python eaten after villagers killed it

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Deadly Earthquake Strikes Mexico City

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Las Vegas concert turns to nightmare with deadly mass shooting

  • October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century

    News

    Hurricane Irma causes massive damage to the Caribbean and Florida Keys

The student news site of Mayfield Middle School
October’s California Wildfires the Deadliest in Last Century