Deadly Earthquake Strikes Mexico City

Nakyla Kelly, Staff Writer

On September 19, a deadly 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck Mexico City killing more than three hundred according to CNN and causing damage over 140km.

Rescuers searched through broken down buildings and debris looking for people that were still alive. “The priority now is continue rescuing those who are still trapped and provide medical attention to the injured,” President Enrique Peña Nieto said in the days following the incident.

The earthquake occurred at a depth of 32 miles. Experts consider this earthquake to be a shallow earthquake. Shallow earthquakes are the most destructive.  

The over  three hundred deaths included 86 in Mexico City, 71 in Morelos and 43 in Puebla state. Twenty-five bodies,  21 of them children, were discovered in the debris of the Enrique Rebsamen School in Mexico City’s Coapa school district.

Photos of missing students and adults were being distributed across social media platforms. Traumatized parents waited outside to look for their lost children. Jose Eduardo Huerta Rodriguez’s  family looked for hours to find the seven year old boy. Jose’s aunt told CNN, “He was still inside the school, and he was dead when they rescued him.”

Many people in Mexico have been struggling since the earthquake hit. With sleeping and eating becoming difficult, many health problems have come into factor. The quake sent residents fleeing into the streets, barefoot and in sleepwear. Some streets and businesses reopened in the weeks after the quake, but the mental recovery has just begun.

Mr. Rodríguez, a survivor, stated, “When you are there for an emergency, involved in the incident, you become a part of it, too.” Many people are staying at shelters around the city after losing their homes. Schools have closed indefinitely, and millions remain without power.

People all around the world are donating money to Mexican Red Cross, Direct Relief and many more to help the people in Mexico during this terror.

STRINGER
Women hug while standing next to a destroyed house after an earthquake struck the southern coast of Mexico late on Thursday, in Union Hidalgo, Mexico September 9, 2017. REUTERS/Jorge Luis Plata