The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Jenny Fu, Staff Writer

Everyone knows Mr. Carlson, the eighth-grade math teacher on team Ignite. His six years experience include three at Mayfield and before that, a stint at a local private high school–math for tenth and eleventh grade. He describes himself as a laid-back person that likes to joke around from time to time. And while his passion lies with math, his daily quirky Math Club announcements, signature curly ginger, and 4-D personality are what make heads turn in the hallways.

Before he went into teaching, Mr. Carlson graduated high school in 2004 from Mayfield High School and went on to study at John Carroll, Kent State, and Case Western University. He served four years on the Mayfield district school board before getting elected as a member on the Mayfield Board of Education. Since then, he has taught at two schools.

He says one thing drives him forward to keep teaching: “I love to see kids doing things that they’d thought they’d never be able to do. It’s amazing.”

He also added that he loves seeing kids happy when they finish something that thought was hard. The school he came from before was pretty strict, he reflected. And, he taught a group that wasn’t the most academically inclined. So to see kids finally being happy, solving a problem, and trying something new that they thought they’d never get, brings joy to his heart.

Mr. Carlson starts the class off with a few math related questions, then goes over them for the first part of class. He makes a few jokes here and there and oftentimes makes fun of himself. He also stays after school to help kids on homework or in other areas that they don’t understand. Additionally, he supervised the math club.

When kids are having trouble with a problem or a concept, he understands where we’re coming from and doesn’t judge. He feels he does a good job of remaining unbiased toward students and is willing to help anyone who comes in–adding that even though teachers can do their best to help a student, it can’t work everyone.

Mr. Carlson explained that as a middle schooler, he was pretty awkward and a little self-conscious. After a few years, he became tired of being someone he was not; in high school he changed and stopped worrying about what others thought about him.

“I do weird things, it’s not a show. I’m just being myself. I’m not going to treat someone differently just because they’re different from me.”

When Mr. Carlson isn’t teaching, he likes reading books, but adds that he doesn’t have as much timer to read as he’d like. In his younger years, he ran cross country.  But that was only for a short time; he joked that he was the only one in the history of cross country to ever get a concussion.

He’s quirky and whimsical, but that’s what we like him for.

“I do weird things, it’s not a show. I’m just being myself. I’m not going to treat someone differently just because they’re different from me.””

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Student Teacher Hired for Mayfield Schools District

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Why Do Teachers Choose To be Teachers?

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Danita Harris: An Amazing Anchor on News Channel Five

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Dewey, The Most Interesting Dog To Ever Live

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

The Teacher Everyone Knows (And Loves): Mrs. Trentanelli

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

The Heart Of Mayfield Middle

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

All About Ms. Valenti

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Hair Care? Look to Madame CJ Walker

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Is Mr. Catullo The Greatest Teacher Of All Time?

• The One and Only: Mr. Carlson

Human Interest

Mayfield’s Own Amazing Athletes

The One and Only: Mr. Carlson