Three Mayfield Track Members Sprint to Success at the State Meet

Aashi Anne, Staff Writer

Ready, set, go! Three members of the Mayfield track team raced to the top at the Ohio High School Athletic Association Junior High track and field state championships. On Saturday, May 13, in Lancaster, Ohio, the Mayfield track team participated in the state track meet, where three Mayfield students ranked at the competition. Josie Conti, Michael Huss, and Valerie Sague all were able to rank in the events and represent Mayfield.

Josie Conti scored 8th place in the state of Ohio in the 100 meter hurdles and beat the school record. Valerie Sague scored 8th place in the state in the 1600 meter run with a time of 5 minutes and 18.61 seconds, also breaking a school record.  Michael Huss placed 5th in the long jump and broke the school record with a jump of 19 feet and 4.25 inches.

The event, hosted by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA), welcomed over 10,000 athletes from around Ohio. Field events consisted of the long jump, pole vault, and shot put; relays included the 4 x 100, 4 x 200, and 4 x 400; and other races included the 100 and 200 meter dashes, 200 meter hurdles, 400 meter dash, 600/800 meter run, and the 110 meter hurdles (for the boys).

According to Josie Conti, the most challenging part of competing is not being truly tested until the competition. She says, “I have not really been pushed all season, and in the last minute, we were pushed on that one day.” Josie expressed a desire for the Mayfield track team to have a specific hurdle coach; as Josie states, “basically I trained myself for this season, so it would be helpful to have a coach for this.” At the state meet, Josie most enjoyed the competitiveness and getting a chance to race against the very best from other schools.

Mrs. Bartram, the coach of the girls’ track team said, “Our season ended with a lot of great accomplishments. Two girls broke school records and and competed at State Track Meet, while everyone else improved in their performance this season. Track is a tough sport; you don’t always get what you put into it, but this year, I would say most did.”