It’s Time to Find Mayfield’s Brightest Star

Josephine Conti, Staff Writer

UPDATE:  Congratulations to sixth grader Lex Schneider, 2017 M-Factor Champion, and eighth grader, Micaela Wellendorf, runner up.  

Mayfield’s annual M-factor has started up again! The talent show has just finished its third round and the finalists will be showing their skills off on the last day of school show.

The five kids who will be participating in the last round of M-factor include Cal Lanning (guitar), Daniel Blum (singing), Josie Conti (singing), Lex Schneider (magic) and Micaela Wellendorf (singing).

The talent show was started by Mrs. McGarry and Mr. Yasenosky seven years ago. At first M-factor was called Middle School Idol, then changed it to M-factor after the TV show “The X- Factor”. The last two rounds are for the students of MMS to chose the next winner of the talent show to get the student body engaged in the experience.

After talking to Mrs. McGarry, one of the creators of the show, she said that, “I think it is a great competition for any middle school student to put themselves out there in front of their peers and showcase their talents.” Mrs. McGarry also took part in various competitions when she was younger. She was both a competitive dancer and a competitive gymnast.

Mr. Bright a judge for the M-factor stated that, “It is a treat to see what ‘hidden’ talents the student body of Mayfield Middle School has! It is fun to watch the kids enjoy what they are sharing as far as talents go.” Mr. Bright also goes into detail about how taking part in the talent show can benefit the performer, “[First the talent show] starts small (with judges) and ends with the student body – 1000+! The rush is amazing and the performance skills in front of large audiences are definitely strengthened.”

One thing is for sure, the energy of the school, on the last day of school, will be vigorous! Everyone will be excited to see the final five perform in front of the school. The winner of the competition will be awarded by getting their name on the M-Factor trophy. Good luck to our lucky final round contestants!

• It’s Time to Find Mayfield’s Brightest Star

Human Interest

Mind-blowing facts about Abraham Lincoln’s killing

Our House

Vocal Dimensions takes first place at Cedar Point competition

Our House

This year’s M-Factor top five

Our House

Paintbrushes, paper, scissors, and pencils: The art show spotlights student work

Our House

Team Revolution students give the Ultimate Pep Talk

Our House

Rock Band to hold annual Rock Our House event on May 11

Our House

ROX empowers girls with the help of guest speaker, Amanda Berry

Our House

Travel under the sea with Mayfield High School’s The Little Mermaid

Our House

“Eating dry crackers and weeping:” Students and teachers react to apocalyptic network outage

Our House

Drama Club takes a bow at sixth annual recital