Saying Goodbye to Mayfield’s Class of 2017

Molly Xiao, Editor

The end of the 2016-17 school year is closing in, and so is the graduation of Mayfield’s current seniors: the class of 2017. The long journey through elementary, middle and high school has almost come to an end, and though it may have been rough, many embrace the people and experiences they have encountered along the way.

Trying new things is what high school is all about, and many seniors have successfully achieved that goal. Some seniors have challenged themselves by taking Advancement Placement classes, (classes that are at the college level), and participating in extracurriculars such as school sports, Science Olympiad, Model UN, and performing arts programs. Other seniors have travelled abroad, won numerous competitions and awards, performed in plays, and even played in prestigious orchestras. They have also volunteered and worked at all kinds of different places around the Cleveland community, enriching their personal and high school experience.

The Mayfield School District has supported students in everything that they do, and for that, many seniors are grateful. The teachers at Mayfield, at any grade at any school, can be found supporting, encouraging, and challenging students to reach their full potential. Mayfield senior May Xiao advocates for this, saying, “The teachers at Mayfield are very supportive in and outside of the classroom. Some of them even become your friends.”

There’s a common saying that the older you are, the wiser you become. Advice from any high school graduate at all can be important words to keep in mind for students. The four years of high school are stressful, fun, and above all, very special. People who have experienced these four years can give great advice to follow for incoming freshman and students in general. Some words of wisdom shared by Mayfield seniors’include, “Always challenge yourself”,  “Don’t slack off”, “Be nice to everyone”, and “Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep”.

Within the month of May, Mayfield seniors attend a senior banquet, an honors day, a senior picnic, and finally the long-awaited graduation ceremony. After that, it’s off to the big wide world of college. Mayfield’s class of 2017 is heading off to some of the best colleges, universities, and institutions in the country. This includes the University of Chicago, Columbia University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Vanderbilt University. With a large variety of majors and paths, Mayfield is proud to send off such a diverse, intelligent group of students into the world.

On May 20, there will not be a dry eye in the room as parents, teachers, and friends watch Mayfield’s class of 2017 walk across the stage to receive their diploma. A tough but rewarding journey, it has all been worth it to receive the knowledge, experiences, and meet the wonderful people along the way. Mayfield is both crestfallen and proud to bid farewell to the current seniors and class of 2017, as we know that they will thrive and do great things in the future.