Snapchat: Snapping Its Way to Safety

Alexis Thomas, Staff Writer

Snapchat, the revolutionary app that has well over 200 million users, is trendy, addicting, and comes with unique features that teens love.

But just how well do people know the app that makes it possible for them to share personal experiences in what the app calls “snaps”?

The app allows users to take photos or videos–often with humorous overlays or filters–and then share them with either specific people or with all of their Snapchat “friends.”  Users choose whether the shared image or video will be available for anywhere from one second to ten seconds; and items placed on “Your Story”–which can be viewed by all previously accepted friends–are available for 24 hours.

While Snapchat may be nerve-wracking to parents, Snapchat has cool perks and safety features to appeal to both teens and their parents.

Some of Snapchat’s creators were students at Stanford University. For example, Bobby Murphy, Reggie Brown, and Evan Spiegel are all Stanford alumni who have graduated and gotten their degrees–meaning they are not only skilled at what they do in terms of marketing and appeal but they also understand how to put safety first in tech. As a result, Snapchat has undeniable safety features that other social media sites and apps don’t provide.

One of the important protectives that Snapchat has is the ability to delete photos by the original poster. Unlike many other social media apps and sites, Snapchat users have the ability to delete the posts they have made whenever they choose (not to mention all posts are deleted after 24 hours.)

Another policy allows users to know exactly who has seen their posts and who has screenshotted them (a practice that is frowned upon by creators, as it defeats the purpose of the app’s temporary images.) Snaps that have been screen-shotted will be indicated with a bright green arrow.

In addition, chats are erased the moment users exit out of them unless the person chooses to save them.

Lastly, users ultimately choose who gets to view their posts, as well as whose posts they view. Also, similar to Instagram and Twitter, there is the ability to add friends by username and wait for them to accept the request.  Other users that have requested to added someone won’t have the ability to view posts until permission has been given and visa versa.

With all these security precautions in play, parents may feel more comfortable with their children using the app. Still, teens must be smart about the app’s use. Users should avoid posting snaps that reveal their whereabouts. For example, posting a picture with the caption “On vacay with the fam on Kelley’s Island” lets predators know that the user’s house is empty and vulnerable. Users should also resist accepting requests from people they do not know personally.

So go ahead, Mom, it’s time to let your son or daughter have that Snapchat account that they’ve been begging for; and while you’re at it, get yourself one too!